The Mega industry worth $763 billion with a workforce of millions around the world providing business support to almost all the industries on earth and beyond,from designing a website for a bank to hardcoding a microcontroller to be used in a satellite,this humble industry does it all without even telling the people who actually do it at the production level.Surprised!!!... Well,you might be surprised but the explanation is pretty logical,the idea behind the industry is that the business owner will make you do a difficult looking simple work, which he will trade in market for millions and will pay you back with some peanuts,now,you obviously won't be satisfied with peanuts if he had told you that you are writing the code for alternate afterbooster ignition engine automation system to be used in a rocket travelling to jupiter!!!"...The magic behind the four figure(in crores) profit per quarter lies here,since most of the clients of these industries are companies with revenues more than a billion dollars per year and everyone needs web support and database support in their business in order to make it fast track and scalable,the IT comapnies come into role,they commit to manage the database of a company with petabytes of data for next few years and charge them some billion dollars, now for the companies providing them business its not a bad deal,I mean the trade off is good,they spend a billion dollars and reduce the maintanence cost and speed up their business,they start earning two or three more billions down the year,they scale their business up even more...fair business...isn't it!!! but how fair is that when you pay someone sitting in U.S ten times more for the same work,now I ain't no rocket scientist but I know thats unfair and I too know that I am being treated unfairly because I won't question my employer for this and he knows that because he knows that I am insecure,he knows that if I leave the job he will find someone equally good or may be even better in this country with ten lakh newtonian engineers roaming around looking to be employed and I don't wanna become a part of them,so,I can't actually blame him,he is just doing business,all he is trying to do is make profit and that is not at all unethical,the problem lies with our enormous direction less but qualified workforce,if we had a the same workforce with a proper direction and appropraite consumption we would have been the global numero uno. You might be wondering what is with the topic "The Zero Talent MegaIndustry",for those who are not related to IT industries it will sound a little odd but lets save that for later,here is the case,when some one joins an IT company in India as a fresher,the company spends a lot of money on training him/her in some domain as per their requirement,atleast this is what they say,now when the training is over successfully the trainees are supposed to be mapped onto some IOU(industry operation unit) where they are categorized according to the type of clients they will work for but once you are out of training centre all these categorizations and training domain dissolves into thin air and you are stripped off every preference and comfort and technology expertise that you might have,for example,If you were trained in java they will put you in mainframe and to your surprise your friends who were trained in mainframe are resting on bench or worst case working in java but that is not the end of story,if by chance you have a location prefernce they will not at all send you there I guess they are afraid that if you go to a place where you are comfortable you will end up being happier and saving the salary they pay you and finally you will open your own IT company and takeover theirs. I call it a zero talent industry for this very reason only,it doesn't matter what you know,it doesn't matter what your training is,it doesn't even matter what your qualification is once you are in,the work that can be done by someone with an average IQ and an optimum knowledge of English is done by a crowd of engineers,this in simple words in resource mismanagement,there are simply not enough industries to accomodate such a massive headcount of talent,the infrastructure of this country is not ready to accomodate this kind of workforce and as a result we have gained ourselves a reputation of being called "cheap labour" in west.They outsource their work here attracted by cheap labour cost ,our service industrymen trade the high quality yet cheap work of people here for a lucrative amount and yet make a very good profit since they don't bother sharing their success a little with those who make it really possible because again they know "if I leave the job he will find someone equally good or may be even better".
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
The Zero Talent MegaIndustry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment